Decorate with Caution
The holiday season brings joy and warmth into our homes with festive decorations, sparkling lights, and beautifully adorned trees. However, it’s crucial to keep safety in mind when decorating, as decorations, especially those involving lights, can pose fire hazards. In this guide, we’ll review a handful of tips to keep your celebrations merry and safe.
- When selecting decorative lights, opt for products that are certified safe by reputable organizations like UL. These lights undergo rigorous safety testing.
- Examine your lights carefully for damaged cords, frayed wires, or broken bulbs. If you spot any issues, replace or repair the lights before using them.
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets with too many decorations. Use extension cords and power strips with surge protectors to distribute the load safely.
- If you choose to put a fresh tree in your home, keep it hydrated by regularly watering the base. A dry tree can be a fire hazard. Ensure it’s positioned away from heat sources like fireplaces and heaters.
- Opt for flameless candles to create a cozy atmosphere without the risk of open flames. They provide the same ambiance without the danger.
- When you leave your home or go to bed, turn off decorative lights. This reduces the risk of electrical fires and conserves energy.
- Ensure that your homes smoke detectors working and you have fire extinguishers. Test smoke detectors regularly and replace batteries as needed. Check out our battery changing checklist here.
- Teach your family members, about the potential fire hazards associated with your decorations. Keep candles and matches out of the reach of children.
- If you chose to have a live tree in your home, dispose of it properly after the holidays. Many communities offer curbside pickup or drop-off locations for recycling.
- If you decorate the exterior of your home, use outdoor-rated lights and extension cords. Ensure they are clear of snow and water, and keep the cords off the ground to prevent tripping hazards.
The holiday season is a time of joy and togetherness, but it’s essential to ensure that your celebrations are also safe. By following these safety reminders and tips, you can enjoy your decorations without the worry of fire hazards. From choosing safe lighting to properly disposing of your tree, these measures will help you create a warm and safe holiday atmosphere.