Staying Safe and Cozy
With the arrival of colder weather, there’s nothing like a cozy fireplace. But keeping your fireplace safe is just as important as enjoying its warmth. In this guide, we’ll focus on DIY fireplace safety tips you can easily implement to ensure a secure and comfortable experience.
1. Make sure to maintain a safety zone around your fireplace, keeping flammable objects, furniture, decorations and of course yourself at a safe distance. This simple step reduces the risk of sparks reaching combustible materials or causing injury.
2. In addition to keeping that safety zone, it is important to keep a spark guard or screen in front of your fireplace. Having the screen will help prevent larger embers and sparks from escaping and causing accidents. The barrier will also help to prevent things from your home from accidentally falling into the fireplace.
3. When you are first lighting the fireplace for the year (and regularly through out the season) it is important to perform visual inspections of your fireplace. Look for any cracks, loose bricks, or damage to the chimney or fireplace structure. Address minor issues promptly to prevent further damage.
4. Keeping your fireplace clean is important, but doing it safely is critical. After a fire, let the ashes cool for at least 24 hours before removing them. Place the ashes in a metal container with a lid, and store it outside away from flammable materials.
5. Before lighting your fireplace, ensure that the damper is open to allow for proper ventilation. When this step is forgotten, it can result in fumes and smokes flowing into the house causing damage and injury. Keep it closed when the fireplace is not in use to prevent drafts and heat loss.
6. If you have a gas fireplace, make sure that your gas is turned on and the pilot light is ignited. Often times this gets switched off during the warmer months.
7. Even after following the above steps, it is important to have a fire extinguisher handy and ensure everyone in your household knows how to use it. This can be a lifesaver in case of a small fire emergency.
These DIY fireplace safety tips help you enjoy a cozy fireplace experience without worry in your well-protected home.