Beat the Heat this Summer: AC Troubleshooting
Uh oh, you turned on the AC to beat the heat but it still feels a little warm in the house! Don’t sweat it just yet. (Get it?) We’ve got some simple troubleshooting tips to help you get your AC back up and running. Let’s get started:
- Check the thermostat – Ensure that the thermostat is set to “cool” mode and set at a reasonable temperature. Avoid setting it too low in hopes of making it work faster. This can put unnecessary strain on the unit and potentially cause damage.
- Power supply – Make sure the AC unit is getting power. Check if the circuit breaker for the AC has tripped. If it has, reset it and see if the AC turns on. If it keeps tripping, it’s time to call maintenance.
- Change the batteries in the thermostat – Replacing old batteries with new ones will make sure that the thermostat reads the proper temperature and activates your AC when appropriate.
- Replace the filter – A dirty or clogged air filter can hinder airflow and cause the AC to malfunction. Locate the air filter and check if it needs cleaning or replacement. Click here for some tips on how to properly do that.
- Clear obstructions – Take a look at the outdoor condenser unit. Ensure there are no leaves, debris, or plants obstructing it. Clear any obstructions to allow proper airflow.
- Check the fan – When clearing debris from around the condenser unit outsider take a look and ensure the fan in the unit is spinning. If the AC is on but the fan is not spinning, it is probably time to call maintenance.
Remember, while you’re troubleshooting your AC, avoid the temptation of setting the temperature too low in hopes of making it work faster. This can lead to more significant issues and costly repairs down the line. Stay patient and let the AC try to do its job.
By following these simple troubleshooting tips, you can resolve minor AC issues on your own and potentially avoid the need for a maintenance call. However, if these steps don’t solve the problem, don’t hesitate to reach out to our dedicated maintenance team for professional assistance. Stay cool, RENU residents, and enjoy the comfort of your refreshing AC!